AfghanGenderCafe.org

Comments from people who participated in the roundtable.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AfghanGenderCafe.org Forum Index -> Capacity Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:17 am    Post subject: Comments from people who participated in the roundtable. Reply with quote

Capacity Building (What is it?) Institutional WoMa/DoWA/Women’s Resource Centers/NGO participant activities. Here are some questions that were posed when the first Gender Cafe roundtable discussion was being organized in Kabul.

"Capacity Building is a term heard repeatedly in development discourse yet, what do we understand it to mean, really? What impact does it have?"

* Especially since MoWA will launch wider consultation process on the National Action Plan.

* Women working in government agencies, their number, their roles in the government and their problems in the workplace'? I'm suggesting this since working with the government, I feel we need more women in better positions in the government, in management and senior management and in positions with decision making authority and I feel the absence of this has two sides to it, lack of motivation and ambition on women's part as well as absence of an enabling environment in most places to make this happen.

* There are also quite a few efforts to identify what the role of the women's development centers should be (that have been established in different places, with different relationship to the government and with different success).

* My concern is the ability to create sustainable jobs for the women and transitioning from NGO work to the private sector. There needs to be in depth training on a regular basis to get the women ready for this.

* What is the support we can wait from Ministers especially Minister of Woman Affairs (MoWA)? As member of the Steering Committee, we often notice that we don't share the same ideas with the MoWA: is there a necessary work to do on an institutional level to share the same ideas on gender issues?

* We aim to provide some income generation support to these extremely poor and vulnerable families so that the financial burden on the children is lessened and they can go to school. One of the problems we face is getting the families to think of what skills they have and how these skills can be used to earn an income. No one thinks that any of the women in the family have any skills. Therefore sometime we face situations where the father is ill and cannot work and everyone is telling me that the mother is unable to earn an income because she has no skills or education. None of the famliy or the project staff recognise that in fact if the mother has brought up 6 children she has a lot of skills (planning, budgeting, etcetc) that could be useful in a small business environment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AfghanGenderCafe.org Forum Index -> Capacity Building All times are GMT + 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: